Frequently Asked Questions Concerning COVID-19

The United Way of Tri-County hosts the Mass211 program which is supported by the United Way system in Massachusetts. Mass211 is Massachusetts’ free, statewide health and human service information program available 24/7 by dialing 211 from any phone in the state or at
Mass211 also responds in real time during crisis situations. Through its partnership with the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, Mass211 has been activated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to provide information about COVID-19 and related emerging needs during this unprecedented health emergency. Here are some of Mass211’s most frequently asked questions and answers during COVID-19:
If you've lost your job or are currently not working due to the Covid-19 virus, there is information available about applying for expedited unemployment benefits. If you're already a claimant, you can also learn how to manage your benefits.
To apply for unemployment, you need to provide personal information including your Social Security number, birth date, home address, email address (optional), and phone number. Please visit and search for unemployment or call 617-626-6800.
All Government and municipal offices are currently closed.
Courts will be closed to the public until at least April 6, 2020. The only matters that will be heard in-person in Massachusetts state courthouses are emergency matters that cannot be held by video conference or telephone.
8 Registry of Motor Vehicles Service Centers are open:
  1. Boston/Haymarket
  2. Brockton
  3. Fall River
  4. Lawrence
  5. Pittsfield
  6. Plymouth
  7. Springfield
  8. Worcester
Visit the RMV's Online Service Center for over 40 transactions that can be completed online and skip the trip to the RMV.
Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline remains available. They will continue to have the most updated information on SNAP (including any expanded benefits that may become available) and offer screening and application assistance over the phone. They will also connect callers to additional food resources. The FoodSource Hotline will maintain its usual hours, with access to Language Line translators, through this crisis. You can reach the Hotline at 1-800-645-8333 and it is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00am to 2:00pm.
If you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 or you are a resident in a community where there is ongoing spread of COVID-19 and develop symptoms of COVID-19, call your healthcare provider and tell them about your symptoms and your exposure. They will decide whether you need to be tested, but keep in mind that there is no treatment for COVID-19 and people who are mildly ill may be able to isolate and care for themselves at home.
For detailed information, visit the CDC’s webpage: Testing for COVID-19
Question: How do I access Emergency Child Care Providers?
Please be advised that Governor Baker mandated that Child Care Providers and family child care homes cease operations at the end of the day Sunday, 3/22/2020. All parents should find alternative, non-group care arrangements for their children.
The Department of Early Education and Care has created a small network of Exempt Emergency Child Care Providers available for drop-in services on an emergency basis to support essential workers and vulnerable families. These services will be free to families and should be used only when all other options are exhausted.
On Saturday March 21 at 12PM EEC will post names and contact information for these providers on and update on a regular basis. The Commonwealth will provide funding to help support the operation of these programs.
Currently, there are no travel restrictions for traveling within the United States. However, the situation is rapidly changing.
For national travel information, please visit